OM5 Multimode fiber optic has arrived, but, what is OM5 fiber? OM5 that previously was known as wide band multimode fiber.
The IEC/ISO standards bodies have recently agreed that Wide Band Multimode Fiber is the nomenclature of OM5. This specifically relates to 50/125 laser-optimized multiode fiber that has been developed for the range from the 850nm to 950nm range for either single or multi-wavelength transmission.
The effective modal bandwidth for OM5 fiber has been specified at the lower and upper wavelengths of 4700 MHz/km at 850nm and 2470 MHz.km at 953nm respectively.
The ISO/IEC Joint Technical Committee Subcommittee 25 Interconnection of Information Technology Equipment made this decision in October 2016.1
The Telecommunications Industry Association adopted the term OM5 in certain standards it produces. In June 2016, The Telecommunications Industry Association’s TR-42.12 Optical fibers and Cables Subcommittee approved the ANSI/TIA-492AAAE standard, which specifically relates to Wide Band Multimode Fiber.
FIVE IMPORTANT SIDES ABOUT OM5 FIBER OPTICS STANDARD:
- OM5 supports at least four low-cost wavelengths in the 850-950 nm rangeto enable optimal support of emerging Shortwave Wavelength Division Multiplexing applications that reduce parallel fiber count by at least a factor of four to allow continued use of just two fibers for transmitting 40 Gb/s and 100 Gb/s and reduced fiber counts for higher speeds.
- OM5 cabling supports all applications with OM3 and OM4 cabling.
- The mechanicalandoptical attributes of OM5 are same to OM4 50/125 μm specifications and include effective modal bandwidth and attenuation at 953 nm.
- TIA has specified lime green as the official cable jacket color for OM5.
- OM5 EMB values are specified at both 850 and 953 nm.
Wide band uses wavelengths to increase each fiber’s capacity by at least a factor of four, which allows at least a fourfold data-rate increase instead of using four separate fibers to transmit four optical signals, the signals can be sent down one fiber over four separate operating windows.
In an OM5 multimode fiber link, data rate and maximum reach are limited by:
– fiber cable attenuation and connection loss.
– A modal bandwidth of the fiber.
OM5 is especially life-changing for data centers where space is extremely important. Imagine being able to send the same data that would usually take 32 fiber cores – down just 8 cores.
The signals are spaced 30nm apart effectively making each transmission signal individual. It is important that signals can get from A to B with relatively low cross-talk. This means 4 signals down 1 core at the wavelengths 850nm, 880nm, 910nm and 940nm could be sent.
The fiber is also 50 micron, which means all existing OM4 can be replaced by OM5. However, the entire fiber length will have the characteristics of OM4.
It is expected that all new multimode installations will now be OM5. This wide band backbone cable will ensure all future network demands will be easier to meet!
OM5 will lead a new world at telecommunication industry.
SINDA Optic is one of the largest and best OM5 fiber optic cable, OM5 Fiber patch cord, OM5 Fiber optic manufacturers and suppliers with rich experience. Welcome to buy our high quality products or wholesale. free sample is also available if necessary! Any inquiry , please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.